Thursday, April 15, 2010

Cave Canem (They don't forget)

I wrote this back in February and shared with some people, I had hoped to get a photo of Nova but thus far it has not happened.

A special reward from a dog to an old bailiff

How do I begin to tell you how rewarded I feel today? Is there a short form to this story?
The answers is no, if am to relate to you the tale of a small dog with crooked front leg which I found chained to a centre pillar in a large room on the second floor in an illegal drug emporium in downtown Vancouver some 7 years ago. The neighbours said that she had been stepped on as a small puppy and untreated the broken leg had turned to the side. Abandon by her owners who fled out a window when the drug squad raided the establishment, the young female dog was without food or water for at least five days before the landlord contacted me to deal with a problem of rent arrears. I had a locksmith open the doors and when I entered on the second floor, I discovered the dog. It was mongrel approximately 30 lbs and 6 months of age, trembling and scared but extremely ferocious. The large open area was littered with feces and the overturned water bowl was completely dry. The 10 foot chain had several wraps around the post making it shorter each time the dog circled it until it was about 4 feet long.
I talked softly to her as I got some water which I placed in a spot where she could reach and found a small cup of food in a cabinet which I placed near the water. I continually talked to her as I did my investigations, posting my notices etc and I left the premises before she went near the food and water,
When the tenants phoned me the next day to complain about me ruining their business, I urged them to come for the dog but instead they chose to swear and threaten me. That day I went back to the premises and could see the water and the food had been devoured. The dog was a little less fierce but still really scared. I went a near by restaurant and spoke to the owner about buying some hamburger patties, and when she found out why I wanted them she made a large container of warm rice, gravy and fresh grilled hamburgers but she would not take any money for it. For the next 3 days I watered, fed and talked to the dog, which by now was somewhat calmed but still would not let me come near. I visited once during the weekend and Monday after several unsuccessful attempts to coax the owners to come to pick the dog up, I called the SPCA to come and take her away. While I waited the truck to pick her up I was able to unfasten the chain from the pillar. The dog was wary and stayed away from me by going into the adjoining rooms all of which opened into each other; however when the SPCA driver arrived much to my surprise the dog came near me and let me take the chain and touch her. She was quiet and calm and well behaved as I walked her down the long wide stairway and out to the awaiting pound truck. As the driver thanked me for the donation for the shelter he opened the back door and I said to the dog, “You will be safe now, get in.” She looked at me for a brief moment almost as if relived and then jumped into the van. In a moment the van drove away, as stood there I watched feeling sad for the small bond was broken.
I told this tale to a few people and sometimes would wonder what her final fate had been.

February 8, 2010 A happy ending!
Today, my canine partner and best buddy Barklee lead me to a new park for “off lease” in south Vancouver. A beautiful spring like warm sunny day is a great day for a walk. We strolled around the wooded lands and the roadway led up a small hill and at the top of the hill I saw two women, a baby carriage and a pack of dogs passing along the upper road. One of the dogs stopped stood still and stared at Barklee and I as we climbed toward the upper road. I thought it unusual that one dog stopped did not move muscle or turn and follow the pack but it just stared down the trail with its tail curled up behind in a tight coil. When Barklee reached the top he continued past the dark still figure without either of them paying attention to the other. As I approached to within about 5 feet I spoke to the black dog, when I did it started to walk slowly toward me, it had a crocked front leg. First it pressed its head against my leg and then turned to lean against my legs as if to hug me and I recognized the front leg was pointing out and then I remembered that leg. I called out to the ladies up the road, “Is this your dog?” One said “Yes” and I asked if might speak to them about the dog. She said “It’s not really mine but I have been walking it for many years, ever since the owners got it from the pound”. I told them that I was responsible for it being in the pound and they were moved to tears as heard my story. We talked for about 15 minutes and all the time the dog, named Nova leaned on my legs and finally laid down on my feet. When the lady said “let’s go”, Nova did not move, the lady, Kim, said “Nova likes men but we’ve never seen her act like this!” During all this time Barklee who normally is very jealous of other dogs that come to me sat by quietly never showing anything but interest. We all walked back to the parking lot Nova between Kim and me. Kim promised to give the owners my business card and I hope to hear from them someday, but I have been completely rewarded. Nova has a good home, family and friends human and animal. I don’t know how karma works or how a dog remembers after seven years but it makes me very, very happy.

Thanks for listening,
Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment