Monday, November 15, 2010

Crash & Burn run #5 2010

Well here is my story and I am sticking to it!
We left the line and Werner was concerned that I was not moving into the centre of the course, but as I said possible tire damage could happen. The car was driving like a Mercedes smooth easy to steer, and very comfortable. However, the boost was not developing so I began to focus on the instruments as I tried one nitrous injection controlled by the switch on the steering wheel. I was also turning the overdrive off and on to see if that made a difference. Nothing helped and as I cruised along at 130MPH, I think the wind died a little bit and the car drifted to the right approx 4-5ft, so when I looked back out the canopy there was a red course marker bearing down on the right front of the Goldenhawk. I tried to correct but never had time so I clipped the marker which made a thump but nothing seemed to be damaged so I continued playing dyno operator until at mile 4 I dropped the chute. Everything was going fine so I let it coast on the chute until just pasted our pits and then turned left. As the Hawk crossed the little ripples of salt between the graded course and the return road, a little wisp of smoke came out from the front of the hood panel. Ah- ha, I thought the transmission has burped and fluid is on the exhaust, no problem, a split second latter the smoke puffed out from another couple of panels. Should I pull the ACME Fire system? Decided not because it would mean a delay to get them refilled. One more nanosecond later smoke is coming out everywhere, pull the engine fire system turn off the main electrical switch, apply heavy brakes. Now the smoke is pouring into the cockpit, the thickest brown smoke you ever could imagine, pull the cockpit fire system, unlatch the belts, canopy release and prepare to bail out. The car is still moving but stopping quickly as I free up the shoulder belts, I can only see the inside of the helmet, the smoke is that thick! Now comes the real lesson, I remembered during the safety inspection when we were doing bailout procedures with the new HANS device that the belts sort of hang up as they slide over the shoulders, so I took my right hand and the left belt giving it an exaggerated swing up to clear the device. Oops now the smoke is coming in the breath!! I have knocked the fresh air tube from the helmet. The words death by smoke inhalation flashed to my brain (too many aircraft accident reports as a kid in the RCAF). I try to hold my breath as I push open the canopy, but I am filled with adrenaline and control of the respiratory system requires concentration and my concentration is focused on getting OUT! Remember this is all happening in about 4 to 5 seconds. As the canopy opens the smoke raises and I see the grill of the fire crew's truck coming to a stop. The fire guys helped me out and proceeded to spray fire extinguishers into any openings they could find. Thanks to Wendover Fire Dept and all the volunteers that dedicate themselves to our safety. I will have a video prepared/edited soon to post for you to see as Dean captured some of it on his camera as he was on the scene from the pits and Kevin was videoing from the push truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment