Saturday, August 4, 2007

Do remember your first automotive love?

This was my first convertible, a '57 Pontiac.

It was August 1964, the car was a bit rusted underneath, but it looked new and for a 21 year old RCAF photographer it was my dream car . I paid $600.00 for it in Ottawa, the first day of my summer leave, put my bags in the trunk and I drove it, non stop, top down across Ontario, through Michigan,Wisconsin,Minnesota, North Dakota,stopping only for gas and coffee, to Newdale, Manitoba to visit my sister Gaylene and (bro'n'law) Glen. I had lived and gone to school there before joining the Airforce so it was party time. The car was aptly named, after the Animals' classic song "House of the Rising Sun" for it was many a dawning day that witnessed, my friend, Bob "Crow" Brown and yours truly returning from preserving the wild life.
Those were the "Happy days!"

No comments:

Post a Comment